Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Feast for Crows

I just finished A Feast for Crows, and I really enjoyed it. A number of folks had said that this was their least favorite of the four books, as it has a lot less action than the previous 3 books. Some of the stuff that had been mentioned was that it was slow, and the previous POV characters were replaced by newer lesser characters. Needless to say, my expectations were very low when I started digging in, and I ended up being pleasantly surprised by the end.

While I agree that this was a slower book in terms of action, I really enjoyed the scheming that was present throughout. I especially enjoyed watching Cersei self destruct. She is probably the character that I love the hate the most out of all the characters in the book, which is quite a few. I am still hoping that she makes it to the end of the series, as I would hate to see the train wreck that is Cersei end early. I also hope all the Frey’s end up as fish food, which I think will happen.

Westeros is a web site that is devoted to discussions on A Song of Ice and Fire, which I visit from time to time to keep up on the latest discussions. The site is very good and contains very good discussion on the series so far, along with a number of possible theories on what could happen. I will also admit that after reading some of the posts on the message board, it feels like I missed just a ton of stuff that are in the books. This is probably why I do not post there, in fear of someone telling me to go re-read the books. It is truly amazing what Martin puts into his books. It’s the big things and all the little things, that makes this such an enjoyable read. I suspect that once all the books have been published, I will re-read the series, and I might actually take some notes

As a final note on this topic, GRRM posted an update on his blog back on 6/22 which seems to indicate that he is making good progress and the book could be done in the fall. This supports yesterday’s prediction of a 2010 publish, and I am holding this bold and fearless prediction.

No comments: