Friday, February 6, 2009

Interesting stuff

First thing in the mornings, I usually check on a couple of blogs before starting to look at my near infinite supply of work emails that never end. This morning, I was flipping through the various blogs, and I hit Monte’s blog that was hysterical. The topic in his blog was about the way folks mispronounce words. He starts out telling a story about the pronunciation of “nuclear,” which continually gets mispronounced, and then proceeds to blog a bit about this. In the comments that follow, there are a number of folks telling stories on words that they have had trouble pronouncing, and there are some very funny ones. I am glad to see that the professional writers, who make up words, also struggle a bit with some of them.

I think there is a natural reaction when someone points out a word that you have just totally missed on, and having that question pop into your head, “I hope I did not sound like an idiot.” Of course the answer is, “yes you did,” which is why people are laughing.
Two quick stories:

1) On Planewalker there is a file that you can download that has a number of wav files that go through the pronunciations of common Planescape words. I remember listening to a bunch of them, and I think I was probably massacring about half of them. This probably explains why I do not run Planescape campaigns.

2) When I was back in high-school, my buddy’s little sister, who was 5 years younger than me, would continually bust my chops on the pronunciation of “helicopter.” What is amusing is that after college, I flew helicopters for the Navy, but we just called them “helos,” which was probably a good thing for me.


Anyway, it’s good reading for a chuckle or two!

No comments: